I think this is my favorite organic red lentil recipe! It’s fresh & vibrant, hearty & comfy, all at the same time.
Lentils contain enough protein to be your main dish as well. Eating organic lentil on a regular basis is associated with significantly lower rates of cancer and heart disease.
1 ½ dried organic red lentils, rinsed and drained
5 cups homemade chicken or vegetable broth
1 onion, cut in half, one half finely chopped and one half whole
4 garlic cloves, cut
½ red pepper, whole
1 carrot, sliced
1 tablespoon flax seeds
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 springs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
dash of nutmeg
1 teaspoon whole black pepper
1. Heat 3 cups broth in a large soup pot over high heat.
2. Whisk in the organic red lentils and brig to a boil.
3. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Do not drain.
4. Saute onions, garlic, pepper, carrots, ginger, fresh thyme and flex seeds in olive oil for 10 minutes.
5. Stir in the lentils, tomato paste, nutmeg, bay leaf, black pepper and salt.
6. Pour over 2 cups broth , stir well.
7. Turn into oven dish.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
Note: You can serve hot, over quinoa.